What Steps Do You Need To Take To Prepare Your Home For Showings?
- Eliminate half of your belongings as clutter can cost a sale. Rent a storage unit or portable pod for extraneous pieces of furniture or knickknacks. Another idea is to ask a friend if you can borrow some space in his or her garage.
- Use “home wash” (hose attachment available at home improvement stores) to clean the outside of the house.
- Clean rain gutters as well as outside windows and screens
- Make sure the front door is inviting. Paint the door if needed. Also, replace any outdated outdoor lighting fixtures.
- Buy new house numbers if the old ones are dated or faded. Be sure buyers can see the new ones from the curb.
- Buy a new welcome mat.
- Organize all closets and drawers. Buyers might look there.
- Make any necessary repairs so that buyers don’t have to add that to their list of expenses.
- Rearrange furniture to make rooms appear as large as possible.
- Make every surface shine, from ceiling fans to baseboards. Don’t forget interior windows, mirrors and floors.
- Scrub every inch of the kitchen and bathrooms.
- Depersonalize each room, removing photo frames and posters or artwork.
- Buy new linens and pillows if necessary. Be certain they are a neutral color.
- Buy air neutralizer and spray it often.
- Replace any old or burned out light bulbs and make sure all fixtures have the same wattage and style light bulbs.
- Keep up the yard work. Mow the lawn, cut the weeds, remove any debris from outdoor plants and trees. And don’t forget to clean up after Fido!
- Let go emotionally of your home, and get ready for an offer!
The two most important things you can do to help us sell your home are price it appropriately and to present it as the valuable asset that it is. If this is just too much for you to do, please don’t hesitate to let us know. We may have some further useful information to help you get your home to show beautifully!